VA – B-Ball’s Best Kept Secret (CD) (1994) (FLAC + 320 kbps)
This is a CD of NBA players’ first (and only in most cases) songs with hip-hop producers.
With decently high-level production, this album contains a number of hip-hop works contrived and performed by some of the players in the NBA around 1994. Assisting are a few hip-hop regulars here and there, such as Ill Al Skratch (Shaq was just starting to venture into music at this point), Warren G, and Grand Puba. Given that these are generally full-fledged amateurs in the field of music, the music is surprisingly good. In general, the tracks cover the sound of hip-hop in that year, with a heavy dose of laid-back West Coast stylings in the background of half the tracks. Dana Barros opens the album with a decidedly House of Pain sound on “Check It” (also released as a single). Following him is Malik Sealy, with a deeper sound, and Shaquille O’Neal, with a rather simplistic song (“Mic Check 1-2”). Cedric Ceballos places himself firmly into the Long Beach sound with Warren G’s assistance, and soon after Chris Mills provides a somewhat stripped-down groove. Co-rookie of the year Jason Kidd provides a song more or less in tribute to himself (one of the few written by someone other than the players), and Isaiah Rider puts out a somewhat heavier “Funk in the Trunk” (incidentally, also his name for his winning dunk in the slam-dunk contest). Orlando’s Dennis Scott and Seattle’s Gary Payton each contribute more bouncy works and, to end the album, there is a coalition between what are probably the two best musicians of the lot, Dana Barros and Cedric Ceballos (along with a handful of professional-type musicians) for a more thumping bit. Potentially just a novelty item, this album actually gives music of a relatively high quality.
01. Bamboo – Hip Hop Basketball Genie
02. Dana Barros – Check It
03. Malik Sealy – Lost In The Sauce
04. Shaquille O’Neal (Feat. Ill Al Skratch) – Mic Check 1-2
05. Bobbito – Earl The Goat
06. Cedric Ceballos (with Warren G.) – Flow On
07. Brian Shaw – Anything Can Happen
08. Chris Mills – Sumptin’ To Groove To
09. Sway & Tech – From The Bay To L.A.
10. Jason Kidd (Feat. Money B.) – What The Kidd Didd
11. J.R. Rider – Funk In The Trunk
12. Bobbito – Phat Swoosh
13. Dennis Scott – All Night Party
14. Gary Payton – Livin’ Legal And Large
15. D.J. S & S – D.J. S & S Represents
16. Dana Barros & Cedric Ceballos – Ya Don’t Stop
FLAC – Datafile
320 kbps – Datafile